Monday, August 17, 2009

Host Family

I have a host brother named Pedro.

You already know you're jealous.

Today I am going to introduce my host family.

Let's start with my momma. Her name is Marta and she is the perfect mom. She does my laundry for me and makes sure that I have everything I need. She is a very nice lady and when ever I need anything she is more than willing to help me out. I don't have a curfew and if I come home at 5 in the morning, she'll simply ask me if I had a good night the next day. She has really helped me with my portuguese and takes care of me like a mother would.

Next up is my host sister Carolina. She is gorgeous and really nice. Whenever she goes out with her friends she invites me along and always makes sure that I am included in everything. She is always friendly and chill, and I like her.

I also have a great dane named Mirrah (pronounced MEE-HAW). She looks like a cow because she's got big black and white spots all over herself. She's giant and if she is in the doorway it's like a horse is blocking me from entering the next room. I am so happy to be living with a dog!

And of course, there's Pedro. He's my favorite. He looks straight-up from the hood, with really short hair and clothes two sizes too big. In the shower, instead of singing he raps. He does grafitti and when I walk around Larangeiras I can recognize his marks. He makes his own rap music and recently showed me some of it- and it's really, really good. He is also one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. The first night I met him we were hanging out in his room and he told me, "I want to give you some of my art. If you see anything in this room that you like, tell me and I will give it to you." I pointed to his grafitti art of the favelas, and without hesitation he took it off of his wall and handed it to me. The next night when Eric (guy who no longer lives here) ate my sandwich, he called the restaurant and ordered me a new one. When I watch tv with him he turns on closed captioning for me so I will understand it better. He always looks out for me and is the perfect big brother.

So there you have it, my new host family. I adore them and I wouldn't choose any other host family in the world over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment