Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ode to a Paulista

Dear Rodrigo from São Paulo,

There were many things about you that I found fantastic. I especially appreciated it when, after my Marine Corps friend failed to keep that one forward guy away from me, you so smoothly grabbed my arm and with one look got him off of me for the rest of the night. Just for that you became my hero.

But it was when you asked me to dance that you gave me a reason to remember you always.

You led me to the very center of the club and there, lost in the faceless masses we danced. A really good song started playing and I closed my eyes, lost in the moment. I got self conscious so I opened my eyes and looked at you.

My God. There you were, magnificence personified. In the glow of the strobe lights you flashed before me, eyes closed, dancing as if nothing else existed but this song. That this very moment held within it your entire life, and that life was incredibly, incredibly happy.

And so I closed my eyes too, and let the song become me, and together we became mirages under the strobe lights.

Sometimes when I am listening to amazing songs at night your face flashes in front of me, and I smile and know that my life is a little better because of you.

2 comments:

  1. sorry i keep missing your calls, I keep strange hours. I dont have skype yet... but notice i said "yet." Ill figure it out...

    also, can you post or email music? I would love to hear some of these brazilian jams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say that I think that this blog is super-duper! Your writing is facile, it's dynamic... and it is clearly written by a woman with strong cheekbones and good, child-bearing hips. Keep it up!

    Also: Darla, we've never met. But I like you! How's life? Have you made any videos lately?

    --Nick

    ReplyDelete