Friday, July 17, 2009

The Joy of Being Sick

Adventures come in all shapes and sizes. I've been sick for the last couple of days, but last night was the worst. I was so congested I couldn't sleep. I go downstairs in the hostel at one in the morning and see a group of people that I've never met. I think about how to say it in portuguese but I am too tired, so I just say, "I am sick and congested and I need cold medication. Do you have any?"

Everyone at the bar stares at me blankly.

Me- "Okay, then. Ummm... eu tenho grippe. Um, eu needo medicine."

Random Person- "Oh, grippe! Com Nariz?"

Me- "Sim! Sim! Nariz!"

Everyone- "Oh Nariz!" They talk in Portuguese.

Everyone- "Nao tem."

Me- "Okay. Obrigada."

Strange guy- "Wait. You need hemede, yes?"

Me-"Sim, hemede."

Strange guy- "We are going to the bakery, and you can come with us and get some there."

I am suprised and happy about this, and wonder how the drogarias could be open at this hour. Well, never matter. What ensues next is me waiting to leave to the bakery while Nicola (Italian friend of mine) and this guy with curly hair both think they have what can help me.

"Aspirina!" Says one.

"Does that help congestion?" I ask. They talk and conclude that it doesn't. Then Nicola comes down with a bottle of some powder.

"Take this," He says. The others talk.

"This only works if you aren't sick yet," the strange guy tells me. Nicola gives the bottle to me anyways.

"Wait, wait, I can help you!" another guy says. He runs up to his room and brings back a pack of white circular pills. "Take one. It's for grippe."

"Tenho congestao. Will it help that?"

"Yes, it will help with your grippe. You will sleep through the night well." I stare at the mystery drug in my hand.

"Take it take it!" Some other strangers tell me. "It's nothing bad, I promise." And so I take it, hoping to god that it isn't something really creepy.

"Are you still coming with us?" The strange guy asks. I agree. We walk to this 24 hour "pharmacy" which consists of one man behind bulletproof glass and a cylinder with which we exchange drugs and money. I am so lucky that I am with people who speak portuguese, because not even they could understand the man behind the glass! I give him 10 reais and recieve a box of orange and yellow pills titled "Naldecon Noite". They tell me to take the yellow and the orange one at the same time, and none of us really know what the yellow one does vs the orange one.

I go to bed, and upon waking in the morning immediately go the convenience store and buy new drugs. I have no idea what actually works for congestion in this country, and I really really miss my old cold meds. However, no one in this country knows of Nyquil or sudafed.

1 comment:

  1. So...um... I'm hoping that you found the correct cold medicine?

    ReplyDelete