Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Surrounded by Celebrities

"You see that man there with the backpack?" Guillerme asked. "He's a camera man, and he just finished filming. And those girls following him are going to take pictures of the celebrities."

"Celebrities?" I asked.

"Yes. Here in Leblon and in Ipanema the famous people of Brazil live. Well here and in São Paulo. And they need to go to the mall just like the rest of us, so you see them a lot in Shopping Leblon (where we were at the time)."

Later that day after we had gone shopping (involving an incident where Mari found me looking mistakenly at children´s clothes) we were waiting at a stop light and Guillerme pointed out one of the guys.

"You see that man in the red shirt?" I looked over towards a normal looking tall guy wearing a red shirt. "He is famous."

"Really?"

"Yes. You know that telenovela we watched at lunch? He is on it." I gazed at the man. How many millions of people in Brazil know about him? How many girls have pictures of him on their bedroom wall? How many celebrities do I see every day, people who are worshipped, stalked, and known throughout this country but whom to me don`t even exist?

The thought fascinates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment