Friday, July 3, 2009

Hobos Have More Fun

I'm super tired. I'm only posting tonight because I said I was going to post tonight and Nick won't let me not post. So, I post.

This week has been crazy. Yesterday I got an email from my host institution titled "Housing". I have received other emails of the sort, all saying things like "We have no idea who you're going to live with yet, but we're sending you this email anyway," but this one had to be the one, because I was leaving in exactly a week and they really couldn't put off telling me who my host family was any longer.

I read feverishly, my excitement growing with each sentence. This was the email! This was the one! I had spent weeks wondering what they were going to be like. Was I going to have any siblings, would they speak any English, what gift should I bring them from the United States when they welcome me into their home...

"I am writing to inform that you have not been placed in a home stay."

And so I find myself, one week from leaving to spend a year in a huge city in a foreign country (oh, and add in that I don't speak the language) homeless.

To be continued.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it -- and I look forward to reading about all of your adventures over the course of the next year. I am sure you will get by this little road bump.

    --Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds even more like the adventure you always wanted... the scarier the better,yes? Wish I was coming with you, truly I do. Ive started writing again. We should write to eachother, perhaps we'd be better at that then calling eachother. I can't wait to hear about all the crazy things that happen to you in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete